Online casinos are full of suspense and excitement, and propel competition while maintaining an air of nobility. However, if you’re one of the few people who are hesitant towards playing live casino games, or any casino games for that matter, because of the “luck” factor, Blackjack is made just for you. It’s more a game of skill rather than luck, and with the right strategies and moves, you can even flip the advantage on your side. But to do that, you’ll have to stop asking “How do you play Blackjack?” and start playing at one of our trusted online casinos. Here’s how to play Blackjack and get started the right way.
Basics of Blackjack
In both Live Blackjack and in land-based ones, the game is played on a semi-circular table. The players sit along the curve facing the dealer on the straight edge. In Blackjack, you play against the dealer who’s representing the casino. Your main objective in the game is to beat the dealer. Blackjack rules dictate that you can do it any one of three ways depending on your cards and your strategy:
- You can draw a hand value higher than the dealer’s.
- You can draw a hand value of 21 on your first two cards when the dealer does not.
- The dealer draws a hand value higher than 21 when you don’t.
If anything happens in the round that’s not one of the above possibilities, you’ll lose. When you win, you get the reward according to the online casino’s payout rate (usually 3 to 2). Upon losing, your bet amount will be lost.
To compare who’s won and who’s lost, hand values need to be calculated. This is done by adding the values of each card in the hand by taking into account the predetermined values of each of the cards in Blackjack. These values are as follows:
- 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10- Face Value
- J, Q, K- 10
- Ace- 1 or 11, whichever is more beneficial to the player
At the start of a round, every player gets two cards from the dealer who then has to play one of the possible hands to either increase their winnings or decrease their losses.
There are five hands you can play in Blackjack, but note that not all are playable at all times. Some hands are only applicable under certain circumstances.
- Hit- If the first two cards add up to a small number, you can ask the dealer to give you more cards. There’s no limit on the number of cards you can request the dealer as long as you don’t go bust. At any point during your turn, you can choose to “stand” when you get a high enough hand value.
- Stand- When you’re satisfied with the hand value you have or are afraid to hit and risk going over 21, you can choose to “stand”.
- Split- When you get two cards having the same value, that is a pair, then, you can split your hand into two. Each of those two cards will become the first cards of two new hands. You’ll also have to place another wager for the new hand.
- Double Down- If you require only one more card to make a strong hand, you can double your wager. The dealer will then deal only one more card.
- Surrender- If you get a poor hand, you can back out of the round and get half of your original bet back.
How to start playing Live Blackjack
Playing Live Blackjack is as easy as looking up the meaning of a word on your phone, thanks to our curated list of the best online casinos in Pennsylvania. Pick one you like, sign up, and make a deposit. Next, join a Live Blackjack lobby and start playing. You can go to the help menu if you want to quickly refer “how to play 21”.
Place your bet using the virtual layout before the betting timer runs out. Using your knowledge of the basics and hands in Blackjack, play the right hands and you’re sure to succeed in the long run, and have fun along the way.